Background

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Groom's Eye View

This is Zane (this time)...no matter what Jasa wrote about the proposal, I am always going to believe with all of my heart that she never saw it coming because somehow that is easier to bear than the realization that my soon-to-be-wife is capable of unraveling the most complex of surprises like a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. Having said all of that, I can't tell y'all how excited I am, beginning with the fact that she said yes and then with the renewed understanding with every passing day that I am going to marry this woman.

What you might not have heard through the grape vine is how this whole relationship thing got started. There are times in life when you look back and wonder why God didn't allow you to have all of the information all at once. That's kind of how I feel when I think back about 8 years ago when I met Jasa for the first time. In all fairness, she was 13 and I was 16 so neither of us were interested in each other in any kind of romantic way. But as you read in her account of the proposal (which was all true, despite my claims that she didn't see it coming) I distinctly remember her smile and the amount of joy that she had. It was clear that she was going to do some incredible things and it was always interesting to see what she was up to and what God was doing in her life.

Fast forward about 7 years and you end up looking at January 2008. Jasa and I kind of helped to set up our younger siblings (her sister and my brother) and they started to date. Somewhere in the process, Jasa and I began talking and then talking more frequently. Even though we had "known" of each other for several years we finally got to become friends and to get to know one another. I was in Kentucky and she was in Utah so we were able to develop a pretty good friendship through phone calls and emails and such. I came back for several weeks at the beginning of the summer to watch Kendall play in his state baseball tournament and after nearly blowing any chance of spending more time with Jasa (a story that is way too complicated and far too embarrassing to put on a blog!!!!) we got to spend some time together and after a couple of weeks I found the boldness to ask her to think about a relationship. About a week later, I still hadn't heard anything from her but she took me to the airport so I could go back to Kentucky. We talked a little bit about expectations and such as that on the way but it wasn't until I was getting my bags out of the back of her car that she finally said, "let's give it a shot and see what happens".

1o months and a ring on her finger later, I'm pretty excited that she decided to give us a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment